In 2010 ICARE Charity Committee was set up by Homecare to raise funds for local and national charities to enhance the dignity and improve the quality of life for people, families and communities.
We are committed to having a positive impact by combating poverty and social isolation and also working together to fight against inequality.
ICARE befriending service will develop and implement a befriending service for older people who fit into the following criteria:
- Over 50
- Live alone
- Have limited family support
- May have limited mobility
- May have been recently bereaved
- Have limited social and community contact and/or support
The aims of the project will be to:
- Reduce loneliness and isolation of the older person
- Have staff visiting between 1 and 3 hours per week
- To chat to older person, help them get active (possibly by going for a walk), share a hobby or interest in the community or perhaps to join in with local community groups.
- Deliver services within all wards of the Armagh City and District council and the HSE border areas of Co. Monaghan.
Referrals will be received from a range of different agencies, namely SHSCT, HSE, Occupational Therapists, Social Workers, GP’s, Community Hospitals, Day Centres, other community agencies and family and friends.
After all details are received on our referral form, the client will be met by our Befriending Coordinator, who will assess their needs, complete a risk assessment, then if eligible will be matched with a compatible volunteer. The Coordinator will be responsible for the development, coordination and implementation of the project.